How Much Does a DUI Lawyer Cost?
When it comes time to choose an attorney to battle your DUI charge, one of the biggest problems is how much money you are going to spend for representation.
A DUI charge is nothing to ignore, so you need to consider that when choosing legal representation.
Even though you may be worried about saving money on the cost of defense, that is not the best place to try to cut corners.
For many people, it can be difficult to determine what the total cost of an attorney will be for your case. There are a number of factors to consider when determining how much you are going to spend out of pocket. Some of the common factors are outlined below:
- Location – Depending on where you are located, the cost could rise higher than other areas.
- Type of charge you are facing – Misdemeanor charges are not as expensive to defend as that of a felony case. If you are facing felony charges, expect to spend more than what you would on a misdemeanor charge.
- Previous criminal record – Those with prior DUI convictions or other criminal charges will require extensive legal representation to help limit the consequences of their actions. The court views those with prior convictions as repeat offenders, so it is important to consider that when hiring your lawyer to represent you.
- Experience of your legal representation – Since you are dealing with a serious charge, you can expect the hourly cost of an attorney to range upwards of a couple hundred bucks. If you want someone knowledgeable and skilled in their profession, you are going to have to pay for it.
- Complexity of your DUI case – Depending on how complex and involved your case is, you may have a lot of working hours putting together a solid defense for the impending charges against you.
Since the price of a DUI lawyer in Michigan varies greatly, the best thing for you to do is ask information about what you are dealing with before it gets too involved. Ask for an estimate as to what you are going to spend for your drunken driving charge in Michigan. When it boils down to drunk driving in Michigan, you need to ensure you have the proper legal representation behind you. Even though the price may vary, you can expect to spend anywhere from $1,000 up to $7,500 for solid legal defense. Consulting a professional ensures you are going to get the best deal possible for your specific situation.